We all encounter people who come into our life for a season, for a reason. I've learned so many lessons from the people I've met in my lifetime. Lessons about myself, human nature, values, hypocrisies, lies and truth. It is those lessons that not only shape the person I am, but influence the person I am evolving to be. And I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that when I die I want the people who knew me to say that while I may not have been perfect I was loving, honest, loyal and kind. To say I did unto others what I would have had them do unto me - no matter how I was treated. That I was Christian ... and not in the religious sense of the word.
I suppose I could abandon the high road in life. I could live with the vain, shallow and self-serving attitude that so many people seem to embrace today. Yes, it sounds so much easier. Then again, I'd probably die lonely and miserable. I'd be that person in the old age home who nobody goes to see. Washed up and bitter ... alone. Because selfishness leaves you bankrupt. But selflessness? It makes you rich. Rich in the things that really matter.


No comments:
Post a Comment