Friday, May 21, 2010

Blast From The Past


Is it just me or do we all look back on some of the people we've known or things we've done and simply shake our heads?  Sometimes we even hope that we never see those people or visit those places again.   Maybe it is just me, but I have people that I don't care to see again.  Not because they are horrible people.  Most of them I liked a lot.  It's because they make me think back to times in my life that just weren't my best.  It's human nature to want to only remember the good things.  Who wants to think about uncomfortable things?

I can honestly say that I am proud of most of my life.  There are a few years in my early twenties...those weren't the best days.  Regardless they were still part of my life and for a long time I have to admit that I was ashamed of those days.  For a few good years I really was able to forget all about them and then, boom, they all come flashing back while grabbing my early morning coffee on my way to work.  Right there, right in Tim Horton's, right in the same line.  And I'm chuckling!  I'm chuckling because I realize how much of a different person I am today.  How much that it really doesn't matter to me.  I've changed, I've grown up.

Two years ago, I would have kept my eyes on the ground and shuffled into line.  Not today!  With a smile, nod and pleasant hello I kept my head held high.  After all, I'm not the only person in the world who did stupid things.  I'm not the only person in that line who might be silently groaning thinking about the old days.  So I'm not going to walk around wondering if I might run into you-know-who and what will that be like.  Because, I ran into one of them today and I'm still standing here and laughing at the whole silly thing.  I didn't blow up in smoke.  Because those days certainly don't define these days.  And these days I'm a thousand times the girl they knew. 

How glorious to know that during our life we live, learn and, hopefully after all that, we laugh.

1 comment: