Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Impressions

You never see yourself the way that others see you.  So many times I am surprised when I hear an observation of a friend or family member.  Good or bad, the things people see are fascinating to me.  I spend a lot of time wondering exactly how they arrive at a certain conclusion and what am I subconsciously doing to facilitate it?  

A very good friend of mine once told me that when she first met me she was intimidated and felt that I was unapproachable, even a little snobby.  I was never so shocked in my entire life!  I've always felt I was friendly and down-to-earth.  I'm glad that she didn't write me off then and there.  We both would have missed out on a life-long friendship that is very special to me.

People say "you don't like me", to my great surprise.  Quite obviously I must when I invest a measure of my time and energy in getting to know a person.  Yes, it doesn't happen overnight that you are my best friend.  Maybe I won't tell you my deepest, darkest secret or let you in on everything I think.  I don't know everything about you - what you think or how you feel.  It takes time to develop the kind of friendship where you can just look at a person and know what they are thinking.


Let me tell you something life's taught me.  I won't always see myself the way that you see me.  Then again you might be wrong.  But if you dig beneath the surface I'm sure that you will find a friend who's not only faithful, but tender, loving and kind.    

No comments:

Post a Comment