Saturday, May 22, 2010

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

I woke up this morning to the song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" playing over and over in my head.  I love that song because it really hits the nail on the head about how I feel lately.  I just wanna have fun.  But I've got other priorities in life right now, like being a good mom to Kate, studying, working, keeping fit and creating a good future for my daughter and I.  I've always been the kind of person who puts everyone else first.  And being a mother, I can't stop that.  I still think about what Kate needs and wants first.  After that?  I don't care how selfish this sounds - I'm only thinking about me and what I want.  And this girl simply wants to have a little fun!


Let's get real for one minute.  I've spent nearly a year of my life cooped up in a house with a toddler.  I didn't know from one day to the next what was going to happen.  Day after day after day Kate and I would live our simple life, play games, take walks, make meals and read stories.  Then, at night when she was in bed, I would turn on my TV to watch another lame show, knowing that tomorrow not one thing was going to change.  It was just going to start all over again.  Don't misunderstand, I've never resented being a mother.  That part of my life is very fulfilling.  And children do consume pretty much 100% of your life, your energy - any mother will attest to that.  Mother's are still people.  I am fortunate in that I do have quite a bit of time during the month in which Kate is with her dad and I am free to do things for myself.  And maybe that is part of the problem on my hands.  I've gotten a taste at a life beyond what it's been for the last year and I like it, I like it a lot!


Why are you telling me all this you ask?  I'm opening up to something I wouldn't have wanted to ever admit before.  That I do want more in my life than just being a mom.  Having that will only make me a better mother at the end of the day.  When I think of my mom, I think I couldn't have a better mother.  Correction, I think no one could possibly have a better mother than the one I've got!  My mom was the best mother on earth.  Loving and nurturing, she guided us through life.  She did all the motherly things you're supposed to do.  She also was involved with ladies groups and the church.  She was in a band at one point.  She wrote and directed plays, entertained loads of people at our house and always had a good time.  None of that took away from mom being mom.  As her children we always knew that she'd be there.

So moving forward I'll continue to be the mother to Kate I've always been.  But when opportunity knocks at my door?   This momma's going to have her night out!

2 comments:

  1. You should go for a girls night out. Dress up and have a glass of wine and supper, with some friends. You'll be totally tired the next day, but it feels so good to go and laugh! I totally did that last weekend, and yes, I was exhausted, but it was damn worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Vertical priorities first . . . lateral priorities second."
    THAT will keep you happy! And "if mama aint happy, aint nobody happy!!" LOL!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete